President Donald Trump will ‘shortly’ issue a decree imposing sanctions on incumbents and former representatives of the Turkish government.
This is what the US leader said in a statement posted on Twitter.
The sanctions come as a result of the Turkish offensive in Syria.
At the same time, Trump says that tariffs on steel from Turkey will again be raised to 50 percent. In addition, negotiations with the Turks on a trade agreement of up to $ 100 billion will be suspended ‘immediately’.
Trump reiterates that he is “fully prepared to destroy Turkey’s economy” if the country continues “along this dangerous and destructive path.”
Advertiser Paid Content from Toyota
Here are 6 (everyday) things you can do to save the climate
He goes on to say that US soldiers drawn out of northern Syria will be reinstated in the region to monitor the situation.
The United States and its allies have condemned the Turkish invasion. But the threat of sanctions has had no impact on Turkish leadership around President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
The Turks have launched offensive
On Wednesday, the Turks launched an offensive aimed mainly at Kurdish-led forces controlling a large part of northern and especially northeastern Syria.
Since then there have been uninterrupted fighting in and around some border towns on the Syrian-Turkish border.
According to the UN, more than 100,000 civilians have fled from areas affected by the Turkish offensive.
The Syrian regime on Monday sent forces against the Turkish border to contain the offensive against the Kurds.
The Kurdish administration in northern Syria has confirmed that it has reached an agreement with the Syrian government that the Syrian army may be deployed close to the border with Turkey.